Re: 3/25 Course Design

To: Scot Zediker <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3/25 Course Design
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:49:15 -0500

Message text written by Scot Zediker

" Putting the
lights at a point where drivers would be on the brakes
as they cross them is a Good Idea!"

Skidding across the finish line is fun?

Uh, I must disagree.

        IMHO, Skidding across the finish line invites administrative
disaster. It seems to me it would be much preferable to have a finish line
where the driver crosses the finish under power traveling in a straight
line. Then they brake in a straight line. Course designers who build in
kinky twists just prior to the finish are inviting drivers to say to
themselves they can defy laws of physics with an "I can do it." And when
they prove they can't you have spinning cars, flying pylons, and problems
you wish you didn't have.

        I thought the course was a very good one. But I would have changed
the finish. I'm aware of two "veterans" who took unusual actions to get
through the finish. Fortunately both got out of the way before the next car
arrived. Our newbies haven't all picked up on the possibilities despite the
reality that all pylons count.

--John Kelly