Re: 3/25 Course Design

To: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: 3/25 Course Design
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:25:13 -0800
John Kelly responded, in part, to Scot:

Partial text written by Scot Zediker:

>" Putting the
>lights at a point where drivers would be on the brakes
>as they cross them is a Good Idea!"

As John has commented below, I also don't think braking across the finish
line makes for the best "administrative" finish. Too many judgement errors
cause too many cones. And, the guys backing through the lights, after their
course deviations, didn't keep re-runs to a minimum either.

>Skidding across the finish line is fun?

I'm sure it WAS fun but, for some reason, at least in our car, we were on
the gas briefly to get through the "lights". Maybe do to a different car, or
just a different technique.

Message text written by John:

>Uh, I must disagree.
>
>        IMHO, Skidding across the finish line invites administrative
>disaster. It seems to me it would be much preferable to have a finish line
>where the driver crosses the finish under power traveling in a straight
>line. Then they brake in a straight line. Course designers who build in
>kinky twists just prior to the finish are inviting drivers to say to
>themselves they can defy laws of physics with an "I can do it." And when
>they prove they can't you have spinning cars, flying pylons, and problems
>you wish you didn't have.

I think John's got the right slant here. To accomplish this objective (
crosses the finish under power traveling in a straight line) the finish line
has to be some distance, like at least 50'-75' (if space is available 100'
would be even better), past the last turn followed by an adequate
straight-line braking area. This doesn't eliminate all "administrative"
disruptions but does tend to reduce the number of "last corner" deviations.

Implementing this type of finish at all events requires a lot of space. Even
with Saturday's tight last right turn, the straight braking area, following
a finish line 50'-75' past the corner, would have to be a lot longer than
what was included Saturday. Obviously, as the last-turn corner speed is
increased, the braking area distance must also increase.

Additionally the "straight" braking area shoud NOT be aimed in the direction
of either the grid or the "timing slip" person. Saturday's course had this
part right (congrats. to the course designer). The next part of the course
also added to the safety of the finish by requiring, after the straight
braking area, a very tight left turn before continuing to the timing slip
person.

Now for the hard part. Incorporating all these features in a course on a
small lot is very difficult because it absolutely reduces the space
available for the timed sections of the course. As difficult as it may be, I
think each course designer should try to "sacrifice" some of the lot area to
improve both the "administrative" and "safety" features of each course
finish. And as you've already guessed, this is all opinion, well intended
but, unlike John's, not very humble.

        Don