Re: Web Results Notification

To: "Carl Merritt" <cmerritt@ati.com>,
Subject: Re: Web Results Notification
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:17:46 -0800
Carl,

I'm not aware that it has been completely rejected.
There has been a lot of discussion about an automated
system.  I have been doing computer registration stuff
for AYSO Soccer, Little League, and SCCA where
appropriate for a decade or more, a programmer
and/or  web designer for three times that.
And I believe that it
could be done without too much difficulty --
the technical aspects, that is. Our timer system
is set up to feed information out pretty well,
I believe.

The difficulty is the people.  I believe it would take a
full-time, skilled, dedicated ever-present administrator
to get it working well and shepherd it along for two
years or so, till it was refined enought that it could be
a work assignment.  Even then it would take a Pat Kelly
administering it to make it work.  I'm not willing to commit
to do it, not many would, and the club would have to trust to the
commitment of the administrator to stay with it till it works.
If that person leaves, the club is sort of holding the bag.

Given that, if there is someone willing to commit enough
time to make a complete system design and work out the details
to make a case, I think it could be worth the effort.  I think
there would be a number of people who would volunteer to
work on the committee.  There
are a lot of clubs (including the SFR SCCA racers) who publish
results directly from the track on the day of the event.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!