RE: Web Results Notification

To: "'Jerry Mouton'" <jerry@moutons.org>, lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: RE: Web Results Notification
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:03:29 -0800
> 160 names, yes, but we have about 12 hours to enter them all,
> assuming you don't have to have the names before the times
> are in.  Should be plenty of time!  And of course, many of them
> can enter their own names on the web (pre-registration)

Wow, didn't even think of that.  Beyond the announcer, there is virtually NO
need to do more than associate the times with the bar code while at the
event.  Everything else could be done post-op.

> You don't save info on the computers except as backup -- you
> feed everything onto our web servers from a number of computers,
> so it is all integrated in one place naturally.

Hmmm...an older Win95 laptop or two with a wireless net connection, and
drive it all with a CGI/Perl/VB/Java (whatever the preferred flavor)
front-end app connected to a database directly on the web server...hmmm...I
wonder if wireless net access is even available reliably at our various
event sites.

> Say you pre-register on the web, and as a result it prints a timing
> sheet (8 1/2 by 11, standard printer size) on your printer,
> with a bar code that
> uniquely identifies you.

There would need to be a backup printer on site, in case people forget to
bring their sheets (and if people can't remember pens reliably, special
pieces of paper seems even less likely... ;)

Also, what would a little rain do the scanability of a plain-paper barcode?

> and sign a waiver online (yes, this can be done!).  We don't
> print out the sheet till you enter "YES", and we capture your
> email ID.  We word it so that by presenting your sheet
> you agree to the waiver -- so it is binding.

Would the insurance company consider it legally binding?  My guess is
probably, but worth asking...

> By the time all names are entered and all times
> are captured or typed in (cones would have to be entered,
> for example)  the results could be printed right out!

And available on the web just as fast!  (Carl jumps up and down with
glee....)

> Or so it says here on the box...

Hmm....add two eggs, a cup of Java, and a dash of CGI.  Mix well in a
off-line bowl, then pour into greased web server and bake at 400Mhz in your
RS/6000 for 30 minutes or until brown...

Seriously though, would each driver have to have their 8.5x11 registration
sheet in hand at the line each time for the starter to scan?  Could be
rather cumbersome....  If one opts for bar code stickers, do you put them on
the car?  What about multi-driver cars, put them on helmets?  Is the starter
therefore reaching into each car with a light pen to scan everybody's
helmets?

If the whole system were to be driven off the web server, then there would
need to be a paper emergency backup plan in place in case the server or net
connection goes down.

One could also do some cool stuff with the data all handled on a database,
by providing the announcer with real-time information on how the competitor
at the line or just finishing is doing in respect to their other major
competitors of the day and the season, etc...

-Carl