RE: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:47:26 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, craig boyle wrote:
> You could swipe a drivers license, unless you're from
> New York, they all have the same data format. No ned
> for a separate card.
>
> Card readers take cokes pretty well, don't know about
> beer :-)

Whiile I think that a computerized system might make sense, I fail to see
why it would need to have a barcode or magnetic strip reader...

Why's that portion of the system required?

The only reason I can think of is so that people can grid in any order
they want.  That seems to be a pretty easy requirement to make go away
(i.e. control where people grid, just like they do at divisionals /
nationals), with the advantage that you blow away one of the tricky-ish
and non-core parts of the system.

Again, all IMHO.  I'm interested in this and just bouncing ideas around.

Mark