Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>,
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 01:59:21 -0500

Message text written by "Kevin Lahey"

>>"In message <200111061640_MC3-E603-8FFA@compuserve.com>,
>>"John F. Kelly Jr." writes:
>>>As you continue your conversation and research you will realize the
>>>resistance to this change relates to previous efforts to make it work.
>>>Jerry's efforts were done in secret and then revealed.

>>As the chief nay-sayer on any new project, John, you ought to think
>>about what this means.  If you had been consulted beforehand, perhaps
>>those of us who *don't* live with the scorekeeper might still be waiting
>>a week or two to get the results.

"Nay-sayer"? Your name calling is inappropriate and not appreciated.
Now that you've become inactive in the sport, at least the SCCA's branch of
it, why are you taking up this forum?

I've been in favor of spending what it takes to make the game more
pleasureable.
What I've laid out in the dialog is the hurdles that must be leaped over to
make any computerized system work.
        Having been denied entry to a Divisional event in Sacramento about
four-five years ago because "the computer is busy," I don't want the game
to lose being "user friendly."
        (We had just gotten our engine together the night before and
decided to post-enter, there being no "drop dead" date printed anywhere.
We'd just pay the late fee, or so we thought. At 8 a.m. Saturday morning
the computer was "busy"  using the National results software and they
didn't/wouldn't accept any more entries to the Divisional. We were allowed
to run as a local event entrant.)

        For as long as I can remember, dating back to when the sport was
operated by the NorCal Council, Championship reults had to be out within
seven days. When the SFR program started the same rule was applied. With
the advent of computers, we are seeing results posted electronically within
one or two days. And we continue to mail results because lots of people
want to see it on paper and many want the paper to treasure the memories.
        Many other sanctioning bodies across the U.S. produce results as
quickly and I think that's terrific. Alas a few have some genuine flakes in
charge and have gotten as much as five months behind.

>>I'm not necessarily excited about pre-registration (I like the illusion
>>that I can decide whether or not to run at the last minute), or
>>computerizing everything (I think it is all too easy to make this
>>harder, rather than easier).

Stick with me, kid, and autocrossing will continue to be a fun game you can
wake up and decide to enter on that very day. <G>

>>Nevertheless, I encourage folks to explore it and see what we can do.  It
sounds like >>there are certainly plenty of folks who are enthused enough
to come up with a proof of
>> concept and try it out...
>>Kevin
>>kml@patheticgeek.net"

That's what we're talking about, Kevin: The concept and the details that
MUST be covered. Otherwise we're stuck with the existing "National"
software that isn't user friendly unless you pre-entered two weeks ago.

        It's been my pleasure the past three years as the SFR Solo II
scheduler to bring more events into the Bay Area. We are thriving. I'm
going to continue next year as the scheduler and I hope we can do it again.

--John Kelly