Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: "Debbie" <bartsmom@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 21:59:53 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
To: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>; "John F. Kelly Jr."
<76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Cc: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 10:59 PM

> -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------
>
> Message text written by "Kevin Lahey"
>
> >>"In message <200111061640_MC3-E603-8FFA@compuserve.com>,
> "Nay-sayer"? Your name calling is inappropriate and not appreciated.
> Now that you've become inactive in the sport, at least the SCCA's branch
of
> it, why are you taking up this forum?

John,

I understand your perspective and I agree.  Name calling is not appropriate
in any forum, from either side of any issue.  I also would like to preface
what I'm about to say by stating that I don't think that there is anybody
who does not appreciate the time, effort, dedication and love that both you
and Pat have directed towards this sport.

My only problem with what you have said is with your last line quoted
above...

Not all of us have the time and/or money to be continually "active" in this
sport.  Some have families with young children, 60 hour a week jobs, are
caring for sick family members, are trying to sell their houses (so they can
participate in the future ;), are just living their lives etc.etc.  Some are
unemployed and still would like to use their brains for something
constructive.  Whatever.  I do think that everyone that expresses themselves
on this forum is doing it out of a passion for the sport and a love of
discussing it......   In an OPEN FORUM.

I guess that that brings me back to my problem...I don't believe that there
are, or should be, any prerequisites to contributing to this
forum...participation in the sport and SCCA membership, last time I looked,
were not part of the deal.

I understand that you took offense and were just reacting.  But when others
react in ways that you perceive to be unreasonable, it could be a reaction
to the attitude that you expressed above.  This should be an open forum.  If
not, perhaps it should be private.  I feel that everybody's opinion should
be taken as just that...their opinion.  Period.

At times,  I just think that some of  you folks sometimes take all of this
stuff way too seriously...ummm  this is supposed to be FUN!  Just my two
cents, from one with none.

Debbie, presumptuous, rambunctious, non-participating upstart who loves to
drive when she can and is about to don her flame suit ;-]

P.S.   Hopefully, my house is sold and I will be coming out to play once
again!  Let the trash talk in ESP resume!