Re: 67 2000s for sale

To: <CalSpeed@aol.com>, <spl310@hotmail.com>, <solex67@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: 67 2000s for sale
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:49:17 -0400
In 67.5 some of the cars were equiped from the factory with Solexes but in 68
they became a dealer installed option, not just a parts department purchase.
Remember that inspection stations, at least in NY, never checked for emissions
or emission equipment. No one looked under the hood!!!!!!!!

My Dad bought a new 69 396/350 Camaro. About a day later all the emissions
equipment was ripped out, headers installed and an Edelbrock Torker manifold
and Holley 750 double pumper were installed as well as a recurved distributor.
No one ever checked for the stuff that was missing or made no mention of it.

(Funny, I found the emissions equipment in the garage not too long ago in the
box the intake came in. Sold it for good money to a guy restoring his
Camaro.)

After 67.5 no US cars came with Solexes but Canadian cars did. Does that make
US cars with Solexes unoriginal? In my eyes it doesn't as they were standard,
albeit high performance parts that a dealer was only too happy to install even
before you drove it out of the showroom/garage. Several dealers, including my
friend's Dad, installed them as soon as they received the cars from the
factory w/o the customer asking for them. They just tacked on the cost on a
sticker as many dealers do now for window tinting or pinstriping. Many people
would gladly pay for it as the cost was low and who could resist the sight of
those carbs and the induction roar. They also installed mags too and those
Amco accessories.

You're too young to know about such matters :)

Mike