Re: Sobering - Reply

To: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Sobering - Reply
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:37:27 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, nolan penney wrote:

> > Very good advice. I have been driving for over 40 years without an accident
> > (touch wood!) and continue to practice most of your safe driving tecniques.
> > But it was refreshing to see it all in black and white again.
>
> 40 years, wow.  I wish I could say the same.  Unfortunately for me, I'm far
>better at
> teaching the stuff then practicing it myself.  I do not have an unblemished
>record.

I'm at about 37 years and roughly a half-million miles (including
about 100K on the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago, then reputed to
be the most dangerous highway in the US) without a scratch,
which I attribute to defensive driving, tempered by a fair share of
luck.  On those occasions when I have pulled a really bone-headed move, I
have been lucky enough that the other guy was alert.

When I wonder if I am a good driver, I'm not sure of the answer.  I drive
safely, I drive smoothly, and I sure don't hold up much traffic, but I
would probably be bog slow on a race track.  All those years of being safe
make me instinctively want to avoid the ragged edge.  At 6/10ths I ease
off.

So I guess my motto is, "safety briskly."

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910