Re: MGB spinon filter adapters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB spinon filter adapters
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:46:26 EDT
Standing fit filters are undesirable because they normally don't have an
internal anti-drain down valve, or if they do, it doesn't work. They are also
unusable on an engine with either a Twincam or HRG head (which may not matter
to most of you, but 1/2 of my fleet has those).

I always shudder a bit inside when I start the MGC, with that stupid standing
filter after it has been sitting awhile, or my Lamborghini, which God alone
knows why, also has an erect aluminum canister with no valve in it. And some
sort of Italian tractor filter cartridge unknown to North American partsmen.

The best of all from a racing point of view was the no longer obtainable
Crossland felt filter - you could pull it out after a race and examine it
like a Roman haruspice reading the entrails for portents of doom (in this
case a speckled coppery presence was a harbinger of hearing the dreaded
Vandervel 'death rattle' in the near future).

IMHO, the most sensible update is the hanging spin-on conversion. These are
locally available and Moss has them. I wouldn't use any other sort of
conversion.

Bill