RE: GM Alternator Conversion

To: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>
Subject: RE: GM Alternator Conversion
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Graziano, Michael wrote:

> So that god forbid my alternator goes on the side of the highway again, I
> can get a replacement at Tom and Joe's Auto Parts in a hour.

One would expect that once the Lucas alternator has been replaced by
something like the correct Delco model for a Spitfire your reliability
would be pretty much the same as on any other Delco alternator.
I have not changed an alternator on anything but my Spitfire in several
decades.  I expect to change the one on the Spitfire just one more time. :-)

> Picture this:
>
> "Hi.  I need an alternator for a '78 LeSabre.  GM part number DP7172-12.
> It's a 60 amp double pulley alternator with a 12 o'clock wiring position.
> You have it?  In stock?  Excellent.  Here's my cash?"
>
> Pretty easy.  Or would you rather:
>
> "Hi.  I need an alternator for a '78 Triumph Spitfire.  No, triumph is the
> make.  Spitfire is the model.  No not the plane.  It's a '78.  No.  I said
> NOT THE PLANE.  I know you don't have plane parts.  It's a car from Britian.
> Yes,  it was once a regularly imported car.  Yes, even though it's not in
> the computer it does exist.  Don't you have the old parts books?  "What's a
> parts book?" you say...  AArghh..  How about a '78 MG Midget?  Is that in
> the computer?  No,  I'm not calling you short.  THat's it.  Where's your
> manager?  You're the manager?  You're like, 16.  Fine.  Where's the nearest
> motel?  "

Cute story, but no connection with reality.  The Spitfire is listed under
Triumph in the computer of Advance Auto Parts, Autozone and NAPA.  I am
sure it is in the other places as well, but these are the places I usually
end out going to here.  Why??  because they not only list the car they even
have a lot of the parts in stock.  What isn't can be available in 24-48
hours.  Trust me, classic mustang parts are harder to find than Triumph or
MG parts.  Unless, of course, your a purist.  Stanpart parts are rare.

As for the alternator, there are two listed other than the Delco.  The
reason I plan to go with the Delco is that the others are original factory
replacement. That means low output, just like the Lucas.  I have long had
a problem with battery charge being not up to snuff and I figure the
higher output Delco will solve that.

> Then later "Hi.  Moss?  I need an alternator overnight to bumblefuck,
> America.  No overnight there, you say...."

As I said, NAPA has replacements (I don't remember who make thsm, but
they don't carry Lucas or Delco).  Moss, Rimmer, VB are all nice, but
most real parts are available through regular channels.  And remember
one other thing, just because the counter person says no doens't mean
it isn't there.  I had the local Monroe distributer tell me they could
not get me front shocks.  Of course, he told me this within seconds of
my asking and without bothering to look it up.  He is also the local
speed shop and he makes more money selling Mag Wheels so you know how
much time he is willing to spend on my Spitfire.  I bought Monroes off
the INTERNET and had them in 2 days.

> You get the idea?  I once had my mother drive 3 hours to bring me my spare
> alternator b/c I was stuck in a roadside shop on the NJ turnpike on a
> Saturday night.  While waiting,  I looked on the shelf and saw a GM 7172
> alternator sitting there...  (I was already considering the converion and
> remembered the #'s.)

I see no problem with using an american alternator, it's just that I
see people getting bent out of shape over wire type hose clamps and
then see others rewiring the car for an alternator when there is a
real american made high ouptut version available, designed for our
cars.

Oh well, I think I will buy two of them, even though I doubt I will ever
need the spare.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |