RE: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit

To: "'Mike Chmura'" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:42:08 +0100
Mike,

I also have this problem, although possibly not to quite the extent that
Mike HM does.  It is possible that the body has sagged over time (surely
not!), bringing the top of the windscreen frame a little closer to the rear
edge of the cabin than it should be.  It is also possible that this sag has
been 'set' when sills have been replaced, locking the positions of these
components.  My soft-top is tight-ish when up, but this tension is taken
entirely by the soft-top frame, since the pegs drop straight into the holes
on the windscreen frame therefore cannot put any rearwards force onto the
frame.

The misalignment is really very little, but just enough to stop the hard-top
dropping on.  I get the rear in place first (don't bother putting bolts in
at this stage), then push (pretty hard) forward on the top of the windscreen
side pillar, while pushing down on the hard-top with my other hand.  Works
better with someone else doing the same on the other side, but with a good
hard shove it pops into place.  Then do the bolts up.  Whole job (including
taking the soft-top off and digging around in the garage for the bits I
need) takes 15 minutes.

The hard-top certainly adds to the rigidity of the car, to the extent that
next time my sills need doing I will have the hard-top fixed in place while
the job is carried out.

Richard & Daffy (desperately needing her hard-top fitted if I ever find 15
minutes!)
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email