Re: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop Fit Question - 78 Spit
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:53:20 +0100
In article <sbc42635.028@GWIA>, Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
writes
>I believe you may have misapplied that tension.

You are probably right, but I'm going to need a more detailed
explanation. <g>

>  The tension is to the fabric of the top,
>not the frame.  The frame can pull the top fabric tight while still
>aligning with the windscreen.

I just don't understand this.   When you fit the soft-top to its frame,
you are told to get it good and tight.   I have got mine good and tight.
:-)   What this means is that the catches on the front of the frame fall
naturally a few millimetres back from the centre of the holes on the top
of the Windscreen surround.   In order to get the catches aligned with
the holes, the whole sort-top has to be given a bit of a tug forwards.
In consequence, once the soft-top is fitted, it must be tugging back on
the windscreen frame, mustn't it?   And without this bit of tension, the
fabric of the soft-top would be loose and floppy, wouldn't it?

As you can tell, I don't understand how you can get tension in the
fabric without that tension having an effect on the windscreen frame.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"