Re: Resetting odometer question

To: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:38:48 -0700
Bill,

Thanks.  If and when I ever sell this car, I will state that the odometer
reflects the accurate mileage since the total, complete, 100% rebuild.  And
I'll have all the photos and receipts to prove it.  The "original" mileage of
what's left of the original car (very little) is irrelevent in my view, and
not worth tracking down.  Personally, I don't believe any accurate data
exists.  The only way it could was if the original speedometer had been
included with the sale, and if all of the owners since 1968 dutifully
maintained the speedometer and kept accurate service records.  Neither exist.

As I mentioned to Dan Canaan in an off-list reply, I am not resetting the
odometer to try and "erase 34 years of history".  I am resetting it to more
accurately reflect the current state of the vehicle, in which there are no
miles registered on any moving or stationary part since the total rebuild.  It
will also help me keep better track of the rebuild mileage for maintenance
purposes.  Dan is correct that this will not be a "new" car.  It will be
better than when it was new.  ;-)

Best wishes,

Jeff