Re: Resetting odometer question

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:43:34 -0700
At 10:28 AM 9/7/02 -0700, Jeff McNeal wrote:
>Of course, but that doesn't apply in this case.  The original speedometer that
>was fitted to this car is long gone.  It wasn't included with the project when
>I took it over.  No idea what became of it or what the original mileage was.
>I don't see how I could possibly be breaking any laws or even doing anything
>unethical here.  Everything on this car, from the front bumpers to the back,
>is going to be new or rebuilt to "as-new" specs.  Suspension, springs,
>steering rack, shocks, engine, diff, transmission, you name it.

With the VIN, you can contact the DMV for your state and find out what the
registration should be which will also have the current or last reported
odometer reading on it.

A rebuilt car is not 'new'.  It is rebuilt, restored, or
reconditioned.  You cannot change the odometer to erase 34 years of prior
history.