Re: Removing Brake drum screws...

To: KVacek@aol.com
Subject: Re: Removing Brake drum screws...
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 96 00:30:24 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>>On my recently aquired GT6 the rear screws holding on the brake drums are
>>rusted solid. They will not budge even with a good soaking of liquid wrench
>>and quite a few number of hits from an impact driver. What are my options?
>>Can I carefully drill of the screw heads to pull the drum? I'll probably
>>replace the drums anyways, so no great loss...Any other options?
>>

>The drums are not the real risk -- if you mess up drilliing the screws out,
>you will harm the threads in the axle flange :-(
>
>Try heating the screws (and obviously everything around them, but concentrate
>on the screws) to a glowing red.  This will almost certainly burn out any
>rust and they should screw out OK.  Try not to heat the axle flange any more
>than necessary -- if you have one, and oxy-acetylene welding torch is ideal.
> Heat as fast as you can without burning the heads off the screws, or they'll
>have to be drilled.
>
>Good luck !!
>-Karl

Karl,
 Sorry, I'm not trying to nit-pick or but in, but I think I would avoid
using heat on these screws.
 It only takes about 250 degrees F to burn up the axle seals.
 Seals are a much more difficult job than the drum screw.
 If the threads are messed up on the hub, no great loss, the lug nuts and
studs will locate and secure the drum when the wheel is put back on.
 I just don't see the risk of heat being worth the possible consequence.
Best Regards,
Tony
###