Re: Removing Brake drum screws...

To: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Removing Brake drum screws...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:55:30 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: Tomstory <tomstory@slip.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 20 Jun 1996 Kevin Spooner wrote:

> I recently learned a neat trick for removing these screws.  It is going
> to be hard to explain in words ( a demonstration is worth 10M words).
>
> You need a heavy sharp pointed punch, a good quality center punch will
> work....

This sounds like a great idea; wish I'd thought of it about a hundred
times ago! ;-)

Meanwhile, I might suggest this:

Drilling has always worked well for me. Yes, you do have to be careful,
as it isn't that easy to get the drill bit started in the center, etc.,
yadda, yadda.

However, I've found that you don't really have to drill out the entire
screw. Considering the shape of the screw head (broad head with a
significant taper to a relatively narrow shaft), all you really need to
do is use the drill bit (or Dremel [tm]) to get rid of the head. Then
you get the drum off -- via puller if necessary, as they do tend to be
tight on GT6 rear hubs -- then a penetrant and a pair of locking pliers
is usually all you'll need to remove what remains of the screw.

I've done this any number of times, and I've yet to lose either a drum
or a hub.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *