Re: Removing Brake drum screws...

To: tomstory@slip.net (Tomstory)
Subject: Re: Removing Brake drum screws...
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 96 6:57:12 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
I recently learned a neat trick for removing these screws.  It is going
to be hard to explain in words ( a demonstration is worth 10M words).

You need a heavy sharp pointed punch, a good quality center punch will
work.  Place the tip of the punch in the screw slot near one end and
angled so that the direction of force when it is hit will loosen the
screw.  Now hit the punch lightly with a hammer to set it so it won't
slip when you realy beat it.  Once it is set you can wail on the punch
and the screw will start to turn.  Once it starts to turn you can remove
it with a screw driver because you have only damaged a small part of the
slot.  You can even reuse the screw.  This avoids any potential dammage
to the seals, hubs, etc. from heating, and is a lot faster than
drilling.

--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley