Re: TR6 Clutch Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Question
From: "Andrew Murchison" <amurcha@kinderfeld.icenter.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:26:13 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amurcha@mail.icenter.net>
> Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:
> >
> > Yes, a "new" problem with my TR6, hopefully a minor one.  Starting
> > this
> > weekend, and progressively worsening, it is very difficult to get the
> > car into gear with the clutch fully depressed.  I first noticed it for
> > reverse, but now it holds true for all gears.  I need to use
> > considerable force to engage a gear, an even then it is only with a
> > "clunk" and a little grind.  It is almost as if the clutch pedal can
> > no
> > longer be depressed far enough.
> > Any ideas?  Perhaps just some form of adjustment?
> > Thanks a bunch,
> > Sirmoog

I had the same symptoms in my Spitfire.  The clutch would seem to
disengage but I couldn't disengage the gears.  After replacing the
tranny with a spare on hand and not correcting the problem, I
looked at the clutch master cyl.  It turns out that the spring in
the master cylinder had snapped.  This allowed the clutch to
depress, but not fully.
Look at the simple stuff first is now my motto
Andrew Murchison
'78 Spitfire
'80 Spitfire