Re: TR6 Clutch Question

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Question
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:28:28 -0500
Mark S. Lepore, MD wrote:

> My clutch question (temporarily)solved.
> The local "mom and pop" mechanic said the fluid was empty.  He filled
> it, and it works fine.  However, there is a slow leak from the "slave
> cylinder", will cost $150 parts and labor to replace.  Does this sound
>
> right?
> Anyway, I'm sort of glad.  It seems the thrust washers are probably
> ok,
> and the pin-thingy an oval-hole thingy are probably still in tact.
> You
> guys were right, worry about the easiest things first.
> On another front, the carb rebuild estimates are running from a low of
>
> $375 for both at TRF if I send them, to a high of $275 EACH with a one
>
> year warranty at Sam Smyth in Cincinnati (anyone know anything about
> this guy ?), with two estimates that were in between.  I'll probably
> just bite the bullet, and have it done somewhere.
> Lastly, anyone know why my "reverse lights" don't work.  I checked the
>
> bulbs, and they appear fine.  I've noticed on other sockets in the
> rear
> such as the turn signal lights that there are two wires attached, a
> power wire and a "ground".  There is no ground attached to the reverse
>
> light sockets.  Should there be one?
> Thanks all very much.
> Sirmoog
> '71 TR6
> Will trade Allergy info for TR6 info

    Mark,  the lights are grounded though the body. The two wires you
see are for the Turn signal, and the running lights. The reverse light
only has one filament, and only has the one wire. Assuming that your
turn signals are working, your the ground is ok.   I would  make sure
the socket that the bulb plugins into is still good.  Sometimes the bit
of metal that runs from the wire to the bottom of the socket fails to
make good contact with the bulb.   You can get these from any of the big

three. I replaced mine with ones from a donor car.

The Slave cylnder isn't that expensive (around $30.00) last time I
checked. It shouldn't take more than an 1/2 - 1 Hour to switch.  If you
would like I can email the intructions on how to swap it out your self.
The roadster factory has a self bleding kit that make the job very easy
for one person.

    I got very similar quotes to rebuild mine, so I went ahead and
switched to webers a little more costly but a whole lot better.

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/