TR4 rear suspension knock

To: dmericas@limno.com
Subject: TR4 rear suspension knock
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 17:00:39 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I have a knock that occurs in the right rear quadrant of the car
>whenever I go over any sort of rough pavement, which is most of the
>time here in the land of frost-heaved roads.  It sort of sounds like
>a single tap from a light hammer on the frame near the outboard side
>of the passenger seat.  I have looked all around under the car and
>can't find anything that is obviously loose (checked the exhaust,
>wheel bearings, shock links, etc.).

Dean,

I don't remember what the rear bumper of a TR4 is like, but I had a knock
which sounded just like you described, on my TR3.  It was a loose bolt on an
rear bumperette.  Try shaking yours pretty hard.

How about a cable or hose getting caught and then SNAP, it frees itself and
hits someting?

Barring those, John Lye's suggestion of a loose shock sounds likely.  I had
one of those too; left nice elongated holes in the shock.

Jack Brooks
TS69032
'88-9000S