Re: Increasing TR6 oil usage after rocker oil feed modification

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Anne van Leeuwen <anne.van.leeuwen@vitatron.com>
Subject: Re: Increasing TR6 oil usage after rocker oil feed modification
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 15:08:47 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Anne,

I think the top end oilers are getting a bad rap. I've had one on my
Spit for about 2 years now with no excessive oil consumption.

I guess if you have bad valve guides, the extra oil provided by the
oiler will find it's way into the combustion process. This would show up
when the car is first started due to the extra oil seeping past the worn
guides and then quickly burning off when the engine is started. See if
your plugs have a sandy looking deposit on the business end--a good sign
you're guides are going.

The last engine I took apart for rebuild had severly worn rocker arms
and shaft. Just replacing the parts on a four-banger was expensive. This
rebuild will also be receiving one of my homemade external oilers. If
"6" engines are anything like Spit engines, the rocker assembly is the
very last area to receive lubrication.

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.
Spitfire Pilot