Re: Cars to Hate

To: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Cars to Hate
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:01:13 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Carol Zingone wrote:

> Listers -
>
> I agree with most of the original post, but I must object to the SUV's
> -- jeeps, real jeeps (like the first one I owned, a 79 CJ5 with modified
> exhaust) are *great*.  I'm missing mine again -- has much more
> personality than a Mazda econo-midget.

SUV'S! Now there' an oxymoron! NOT very sporty or utilitarian! I have to
laff at the people who buy them because "The four wheel drive will get
me thru anything", except of course, traffic jams! I drove from Warwick,
RI to Stoughton, MA round trip for 3 1/2 years, 90 miles round trip
every work day.
Every winter when a blizzard would hit, route 95 would turn into a
jammed up parking lot. Here I was, creeping along next to people in
their $40K SUV-bank vaults-on-wheels with my $1500 '84 VW GTI! Never
once did I get stuck, or even spin out in the slightest. Guess which
cars were crashed off in woods most often? Yup,(Or Yuppie!) them dang
Suv's! People believe that the 4WD makes tham immune to laws of physics!
Yeah, maybe you can go 70 MPH in 10 inches of snow, but you ain't gonna
stop or corner any better with that 4WD! Yeah, they look great in the TV
ads busting thru that mound of snow, but you're never going to see the
out takes! Woops! Crash! CUT! GET Another One off the trailer!