Main/Rod bearing rebuild and assembly lube question

To: "The List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Main/Rod bearing rebuild and assembly lube question
From: "Steve Nabors" <topdown@eudoramail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:18:47 -0800
Fellow listers,
On pulling the pan, I discovered my crank had a 010
010
stamped on one of the counterweights near the 1st piston. Graham Stretch noted
that this made perfect sense and that the crank had been turned down 0.010" on
both the main journals and rod journals and I should find that the backs of the
bearings will have an 010 on them. I pulled one main and two rod bearings and
even though they were apparently of different manufactures or manufacturer
runs, they all had an 010 U/S on them. I take the U/S to be Under/Size. All the
journals look good so far. Thanks Graham. When the parts come in, I was
wondering about the assembly lube I should use and priming the oil pump. I was
thinking about simply using castrol 20w50 for assembly of all the bearings and
thrust washers as well as priming the pump. I plan to turn the engine over(coil
wire pulled) till the oil pressure gets up and then crank it.
 Is engine oil fine for assembly lube/oil pump primer lube or should I use axle
grease or some of that camshaft break in lube I've been reading about on the
list?