Re: The re-emergence of Triumph?

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: The re-emergence of Triumph?
From: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 17:55:36 -0500
NO ARCHIVE

Johnmac et al,

> What it contains is an article suggesting that BMW may well decide to
>resurrect the
> Triumph name in preference to continuing with the Rover name. The suggestion
>is that this
> may do magical things to the erstwhile Rover image on a global stage.
> Frankly, this may be a journalism hoax with no foundation of truth at all.
>But there
> again, I'm wondering that if there should be a grain of truth lurking in
>there, have BMW
> taken leave of their senses? If the change does come to pass and the people
>in the
> corridors of power see future products going Stateside with a Triumph badge
>hung on the
> side, front or back and offer a range of saloons - won't they go flat on
>their faces in
> the mud?
> Surely someone in Munich ought to do some homework and determine what it was
>that made
> Triumph an acceptable and marketable product in North America. It wasn't
>anything to do
> with saloons, no matter how well they may have been received in other world
>markets. It
> was simply a question that Triumph made a sports car that the sales were made
>- and if BMW
> don't come up with a sports car for the US/Canadian market called Triumph,
>isn't this just
> an enormous waste of money - and little else?

I have thought about this possibility before.  In my mind, this might
work to improve Triumph's image elsewhere, but you are correct when you
say that Triumph is known stateside for the TRs and other sportscars.
Introducing a Triumph sedan (saloon) in the North American market would
be a mistake on par with BL's decision to label a Honda Civic as a
Triumph Acclaim.  Now, if BMW were to launch a sportscar (TR9?) AND one
or two saloons (small compact and a midsize), then they might have
better luck.  But withoug a sportscar, there would be no way in heck
that they'd be able to market a Triumph saloon here! (even though I'd
buy one instantly!)

Just my humble opinion,
Brian