Ignition(?) problem

To: "INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com" <Ct54531@aol.com>
Subject: Ignition(?) problem
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:19:12 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com
>Well, after the 2 1/2 year restoration, put the 65 TR4A on the road
>yesterday. Drove about the 8 mile round trip to the registry to get the
>plates.

<snip>

>It took perhaps 2-3 miles and it started to sputter.

<snip>

>Then put it in neutral, race it (it sputters a bit at
>first) and then it gets back up to say 800- 1k rpms and it will idle
nicely.

<snip>

>Anyway - enough info to suggest what the problem(s) might be? And where I
>should look first?
<

Jim,

This is the classical symptom of a restriction in the fuel line causing
fuel starvation.  Take loose the fuel line from the tank at teh fuel pump
and see if fuel flows freely out.  If you get a mere trickle then you have
stuff in the line that ain't gas.  You gan back flush it with compressed
air and clear the obstruction temporarilay to verify this is the case.  If
you find this to be so then check the tank for rust, etc.

Good luck

Dave