Re: Ignition(?) problem

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ignition(?) problem
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:02:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
True story - many years ago I had this problem on my daily driver of the
time. Car would idle fine forever, but it would bog down at speed once
warmed up.

I spent a small fortune and many winter evenings in the garage with the
XK-Pinto. It got to the point where I was sure one of the replacement
parts I'd put in trying to fix the problem was defective - I mean I did
EVERYHING.

Finally it got so bad I took the Herald to work one morning. And guess
what - it did the exact same thing! But consternation turned to
lucidation when I recalled that the Herald had a known-bad thermostat...
Aha, I thought as I slogged into work. The engine's overheating and it's
not telling me about it because the temperature sender is after the
thermostat...

You say your car's been sitting for 3 years. Check your thermostat. I
replaced them in both cars that day, and it fixed 'em both.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald
no longer own the Pinto :>