RE: Welding Patch Panels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Welding Patch Panels
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:35:15 -0800
> A freind told me there is an adhesive meant for this purpose on flange
> joints which eliminates any risk of metal warpage due to heat, and has
> worked well for him. Anyone have any experience with this?

We used some stuff from a commercial body shop on a friend's car, it was
basically a 2-part epoxy (somewhat like JB Weld) but in a dual tube designed
for a special air-powered applicator, and with a mixer built into the
(disposable) nozzle.  Net effect was rather like using a caulking gun.  We
only did a few small patches with it (basically in areas where a welder
could not be easily used), it seemed to work quite well.  Surfaces of course
have to be free of all paint, rust, silicone, etc.; and we didn't try
tearing the patches back off afterwards <g>

Expensive though, especially since the mixing nozzle had to be replaced with
every use.

Randall