Re: Welding Patch Panels

To: "Jeffery Howard" <nhoward442@charter.net>, "Fisher, Curt \(AFS-Dixon\)" <CFisher1@afs.bwauto.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding Patch Panels
From: Sam Gentry <sam@spit6.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:18:25 -0500
I took a welding class and was taught to butt weld panels.  It is really
not hard to learn if you use a MIG welder.  I had excellent results the
first time I tried it.  While it is important to get the pieces to match
you should not attempt to but them up tight.  a small gap is required to
allow for weld penetration.  there is even a little clamp that will hold
the panels in alignment, but maintain the small gap.  don't try to lay down
a continuous bead, put in stitches until the gap is filled.  A continuous
bead is hard to do and may warp the metal.

I highly recommend a welding class, in 12 classes I learned MIG, TIG, and
oxy acetylene welding, plasma and oxy acetylene cutting from a pro.  After
that, practice, practice... every piece of scrap metal I have is welded to
another piece.

I was also told to avoid brazing on auto panels.

Sam