Re: GT6 Hot Box? You weren't kidding!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Hot Box? You weren't kidding!
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:11:24 -0400
On 14 Jul 2005 at 15:13, Cameron Rooke wrote:

> I have come to understand why everyone calls the GT6 a 'hot box'.

I would describe mine as not (much) hotter than cars used to be in
the "old days", which means back when it was new.  You roll down the
windows and turn the fan on...  My car does not have the shrouds
around the engine, but it does not have a problem with the engine
overheating, even in 95+degF weather.

I'm not sure about the wisdom of insulating the tunnel.  Sure, it may
keep heat out of the interior, but the factory-installed plastic-
coated fuzzy stuff would seem to be a liability.  The plastic gets
torn, the insulation gets saturated with oil so it becomes a better
conductor of heat to the underside of the tunnel, and the entire
package takes up an inch of space that might be better allocated to
airflow, thus keeping both the car and the gearbox itself cooler.  If
the shifter is getting hot, you should really wish for the gearbox to
be cooler, I would think!

Just an opinion, mind you.

--
Jim Muller