Re: [TR] Buying Long Distance: Tips?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Buying Long Distance: Tips?
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 09:43:57 -0700
Aldwyn wrote:

> ...So much of my shopping has been done on-line... ebay, cars.com,
> oldcartrader.com, triumphsonly.com, etc...  So the plan is to buy, and
> then send it by an auto shipper to my place...

That is exactly what I did when I bought my TR4... but I can hardly
recommend the method to others.  In my case the car was on an island in
the Pacific and (I think) an eBay bargain because of the logistics involved.

I spoke with the seller, looked at 100+ photos and examined copies of
the paperwork.  But buying an air ticket to Maui on short notice would
have made the deal unattractive and no way I was going to find a local
to do a look-over.

The transport went quickly, harmlessly and cheaply (though the part
where they put it on a barge and towed the barge to Honululu made me
wonder) and it has proven to be a great car, far exceeding my
expectations -- but that probably means I was lucky -- not something you
do not want to rely on if you can avoid it.

Geo H