Re: [TR] Buying Long Distance: Tips?

To: Aldwyn <aldwyn@sylvancircle.org>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Buying Long Distance: Tips?
From: John Wise <60TR3A@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:45:06 -0700
I looked for my car across the country.

I had a list member check one out for me in St Louis, and I used the
car inspection service offered by eBay to check out another car (they
did it for the same price even though it was not listed on eBay).
The inspection service did a very good job both in terms of the
written report and 30 or so digital pictures which  included
close-ups of every ding & scratch.  They also drove the car & gave a
written report on it.  I would recommend them if you cannot find a
lister to do it for you.

The car I finally bought was in Minneapolis where a professional
colleague (who is interested in old cars) lived.  He checked it out
and acted as the bag man during the sales part of the transaction.
The seller also gave me the name of the fellow who did all the
maintenance on the car and the body shop that painted it,  I called &
talked to them both.   The current owner also gave me the name of the
previous owner who I also tracked down (he was an active member of
Minnesota Triumphs which helped a lot) & talked to him. When we
agreed to a price, my colleague in Minneapolis paid for the car with
my bank check & picked up all the appropriate paperwork for me &
FedExed it to me.

There are a lot of good people on the list, but if you cannot find
one in the area thinks about friends & colleagues who know old cars &
also consider eBay's inspection service.

Good hunting

John
--
John A. Wise