Re: [TR] Buying Long Distance: Tips?

To: aldwyn@sylvancircle.org
Subject: Re: [TR] Buying Long Distance: Tips?
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:28:44 EDT

I had quite a positive experience buying a TR4 at a distance. My situation
may be different from yours in that I am pretty handy with cars and had owned
Triumphs years ago. The seller, on the other hand, was somewhat of a novice
and  had gotten into a car he was having difficulty dealing with and working on
(as  well as difficulties in finding someone else to work on). Yet even with a
good  level of personal knowledge, I still found it very valuable and
reassuring to  enlist the help of others.

In my case, it was an eBay-related purchase. The car didn't  meet its reserve
in an eBay auction and I had been corresponding with the buyer  throughout
the time. He may have had a too optimistic view of the car's value.  Over the
course of a week or two he sent more pictures and did his best to  answer my
questions; even to the extent of walking around the car and sticking a  magnet
various parts as I listened on the phone. We gradually came closer on  price
and reached a deal.

In any event, these transactions boiled down to two kinds of judgements: 1)
Does the seller seem earnest and trustworthy?  2) Does the car seem to  stack
up to the description and my expectations?

In the case of the owner, we spoke on the phone several times and his
auction description was extensive. In our discussions was there never any sign
of
waffling on the facts; never any contradiction between things said before,
during and after; and no overblown claims. I got a sense that he was being very

fair and honest, even though his actual knowledge of Triumphs was limited.

As to the car, I used the resources of one of the Triumph clubs. On their
web site was a list of people throughout the country who volunteered to look at

cars in their area on behalf of buyers from other parts of the country.
Placing  my trust in a (Triumph) stranger, I contacted the member nearest the
car
and he was extremely helpful. He spent an afternoon vetting the car and said
that, as far as he could see, everything was fairly represented.

A deal was done and my son (then 13) and I flew one-way from the Detroit
area to mid-Iowa. It all worked out great and we had a wonderful three-day
drive
home over secondary roads Wonderful, that is, except for the time the
driver's  windshield wiper dropped off on to the hood in what was literally a
driving
 rain. However, this, and repairing a non-working choke in the motel parking
lot,  gave me an opportunity to demonstrate my alter ego;
Dad-as-hero-mechanic-who-fixes-cars-with-bare-hands,-rudimentary-tools,-and-things-found-on-the-ro
adside.  You should see the cape and costume.

Bottom line, try to evaluate the seller as closely as the car and don't be
shy about asking your new best friends for help.

Bob Sharp
Michigan
64-ish TR4

===     http://www.vtr.org