Re: [TR] Anal retentives and Trailer Queens addition

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Anal retentives and Trailer Queens addition
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:42:44 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Lbc.Resto@comcast.net

...I used to have these cars as daily drivers back in the day.

==AM==
I'll wager there are more than a few of us on this list -- and in
various clubs -- who also can say that. I know I'm one of them!
==AM==

Years passed and I got back into them as a hobby last year.  I went to
shows to talk to
the owners to get reminded of what I had forgotten and I find that a
lot of
them answer even basic questions in the same way, "Oh, I would have to
ask
my mechanic/restorer to find that out".

==AM==
I have to wonder, though (to be as painfully fair as possible), if the
percentage is really that different than it was when the cars
were...well...just new or used cars. It stands to reason that many
people attracted to such cars then or now probably were/are much more
aware of things automotive, and that might well include maintenance and
repair. But I don't know if that means that a greater percentage of
"sports car" owners were/are likely to do their own work or not.

For every owner (like yours truly) who does as much of that work as
possible, I suspect there are several more owners (like my late father)
who truly enjoyed the cars but would've been hard pressed to check the
oil, let alone change it...or rebuild a carburetor, replace brakes,
etc. (Thankfully dad had me around in his later years of Triumph
ownership!)
==AM==

We seem to have lost sight of the
fact that the fun of these meets used to be meeting similar oddball
people,
swapping "how-to" tips and "LBC war stories".

==AM==
That "fun" hasn't gone away for me...yet. Maybe I subconsciously run
away from the "posers" and "investors" and gravitate towards the
gearheads and other "true" enthusiasts. They still seem to me to be the
overwhelming majority of attendees. But in many years of attending
local and national events, I've yet to find enough time to talk to all
the people I might have wanted to talk to.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

===     http://www.vtr.org