Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA

To: wsthompson@thicko.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA
From: Wrtr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:33:26 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-25 19:32:49 EST, wsthompson@thicko.com writes:

<< Many races I couldn't keep up on the pace lap. Sad to hit the start line
 at Road America while the leaders are already in turn 5....

 That car ran 3:42s there. My current 948 MKII Sprite which has been
 consistantly the most legal car in the organizations I race with
 including VSCDA, SVRA, and CHR, runs 3:02. It's legal, but they didn't
 look or run like that in '62.

 WST
 Team Thicko >>

Funny thing is, at Waterford this year, John Deikis was running 1:31's, which
was the lap record for a 1098 Sprite in about 1965, I was running 1:26 in my
MGB, which wasn't but a second or two off the lap record for an MGB in 1966
and my TD ran 1:42, which is about what a 948 Bugeye ran there in 1960. On
the other hand, the fast TCs and TDs last year were in the 29s a good vintage
MGB is around 20 flat and a fast Sprite(1275cc) vintage car is about 23s.
What is it exactly that we are doing here?

Kevin

PS: Those pace laps do seem kind of quick sometimes....