Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA

To: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA
From: Wrtr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:07:33 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-25 21:55:27 EST, Oddcarnut writes:

<< I have to agree with you that it is fun running a really vintage prepped
car.  The money and preparation thrown at many small bore cars today is
insane.  THe legit small bore cars may not be at the front but the racing
among us is often really good.
 Since you've been behind the wheel of one of our favorites(the 93), you
really understand our prep level. >>

Hi Ken:

Ok, so it leaves me in a quandry. I have a 1960 Volvo 544 Sport. I have been
using it for SCCA Tour Rallys in the vintage class. (Anybody can blast around
on dirt roads at night in a modern 4wd turbo coupe. Its a bunch more fun in
an old car!!!) The VSCDA race at Elkhart next fall has Volvo as the featured
marque and a special class for just Volvos. I have thought about preparing it
for vintage racing, at about the level I remember your Saab 93B is prepared
to. My car, quite correctly has a B16 engine (the 1800 cc engine didn't show
up till 1963) and drum brakes, which was all 544's ever had, even when they
were winning major rallys all over the world. All the other 544s are running
1800s or 2-liter engines, disc brakes and sometimes four-wheel disc brakes.
At a track like Elkhart I will be so lonely tooling around at vintage speeds,
there won't be anyone to race with. So, do I trick out the 544, knowing in my
heart that none of these cars ever ran like the specification that "vintage "
cars are running today. I do not mean to offend those of you running 544s, I
love to see them. But this is a very original car in very original condition,
should I really turn it into something it never was?

Which is a round about way to a question to the group. What is the deal with
the preservation class in VSCCA? I don't know much about it, but could that
be an answer? Could someone who is involved there add a few cents (sense?) to
the discussion?

Kevin Clemens
1952 MGTD, 1927 Chrysler Model 70, 1960 Volvo 544, 1972 Porsche 914 ( STREET
CAR FOR SALE!!)