Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA

To: Wrtr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Sprites w/ 1275cc at SVRA
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:52:21 -0500
At 02:37 PM 24/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-11-24 13:10:11 EST, mra@sympatico.ca writes:
>
><< The reason I even mention it is because of events like Waterford Hills.
> Many VARAC guys go there and we do have a ball but....
> In the race I was in, there were only 4 cars that were really legal,
> i.e. a Lotus 7 with a 997 Ford, a Turner MkII with a 948, Brian Evans
> Midget with a 948 and L Section tires as well and My car the VAY Special
> on 15" Dunlop Ls...they are all VARAC cars. >>
>

>Ok Mike,
>
>Now I feel like I need to wade in on this. John Deikis was running my old
>1968 Midget at Waterford this year. It was the red car with a white hardtop,
>it looks like an old factory rally car. We've been running this car for three
>years now and it has a STOCK 1275 cc engine with only a header for a
>performance mod. It runs competition front springs and lowering blocks at the
>rear and most people comment that it looks like a rally car as it sits so
>high. Thats because it is street driven and used for old car tours and such.
>Gee, just like sports cars used to be. We like vintage racing. We do seem to
>have more fun per dollar than the guys who are racing vintage cars. My point
>being, look at the back part of the grid and sometimes you will see guys
>driving CORRECT cars really well. Don't assume because the other cars are
>blowing past them (mostly down the straights) that the driver isn't working
>as hard or harder than that race car in a bottle at the front of the pack.
>
>Kevin Clemens
>MG Vintage Racers
>1952 MGTD

My two cents worth too...

looking at the lovely picture of the session in question, on page 37 of the
current British Car magazine (I LOVE it when I get my picture taken...)

The two cars in the front row are 1275cc bugeyes. Nuff said.  But Man did
they have FUN...
The Alfa I don't know about, but it's probably period authentic, coming from
the late 60's.
The Yellow Turner, while running a 948 engine, was on M-series tires - as a
VARAC car, not in accordance with our rules.
The black Midget - a late 60's car entitled to run larger tires and engine.
The Yellow Mini - fully VARAC legal
The Red Lotus Seven - A VARAC car on M-Series tires - a VARAC no-no.
The VAY Special - only Mike knows what it should have, and he's telling us
it's perfect - I believe him.   Really.  (Just kidding, mike)
The Red Mini - Fully VARAC legal.
The White midget - ME! Fully legal in all respcets, in every
club/organization, including ones that haven't written their rules yet!
Sure!  In point of fact, the Roll Cage on my car is illegal by VARAC rules,
as it has rear braces that go into the trunk area, and our rules state that
the roll cage must be contained within the passenger compartment of the car.
THAT makes a lot of sense.  We also have a rule that states that the roll
cage must be constructed in such a manner as to NOT increase the stiffness
of the car.  OK.   There is one other thing on my car that's illegal, BUT
I'M NOT TELLING!  HA HA HA
Red MG Midget - Rally midget mentioned above.  Running street radial tires
which are legal under VARAC rules (one of them, at least.  There is another
VARAC rule which contradicts that rule, but who's counting)
There was also a Yellow midget, with 948 engine and Hoosier tires - Bob
Gustafson, if memory serves, who wasn't running when this picture was taken.
He was kind enough to lend me an axle, so his car is fully legal everywhere
in the universe too (my votes are easily bought!)

So there you go.  There was also someone in that race group who was running
anti-freeze in their cooling system, which wasn't up to the task, and all
sorts of incredibly slippery coolant was spilled, ruining my race, but
that's another story...VARAC don't allow antifreeze, and that's a good thing!

Cheers, Brian Evans