re:corner workers

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: re:corner workers
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:11:31 -0600
>> Craig Seibert wrote.....
>>I always thought the corner workers were an amazing breed of men and
>>women. >It really does take a lot of dedication to stand (nearly) in one
>>place all day >in all types of weather and temperature working while the
>>rest of us play.  >When your session is over, you can relax, socialize,
>>walk the paddock, have >lunch, take a pee, whatever, until your next play
>>period.  All the time, the >corner workers are keeping an eye on what's
>>going on with everyone's safety on >their minds.

Sounds like my kind of crazyness.  One afternoon few years ago I got a call
from a friend who was working for a race team in Indianapolis. Seems their
semi broke down and he needed help hauling the car to Lime Rock, CT for the
race that weekend.  So after work,I ran home, grabbed a change of clothes,
drove an hour to Indy, and then we proceeded to drive straight through to
the track. Did you know that there is a section of highway in Pennsylvania
that feels distinctly like a long flight of stairs when you are trying to
sleep?  I do now. When we got there, we worked a day and a half unloading
the trucks and prepping the car. (I remember applying racer tape around the
taillight openings so they wouldn't crack.  That was my contribution to car
prep) We managed to get about 4 hours of sleep in there somewhere. I then
had to hop on a flight back home so I could go back to work on Monday.  I
never even got to hear the engine run in the car. I got to watch the race
on television.  Crazy? yes.  Way too much work?  yes.  Would I do it again?
Of course.  Try to stop me.
Oh, and that bodywork I taped up?  A couple of fasteners on the front edge
broke, and the whole rear body section went airborne on the front straight,
shattering it.  But it didn't crack around the taillights.  :-)

Calvin K.
"I love the smell of racing fuel in the morning"