Re: corner workers

To: ibexbob@ptdprolog.net, S800Racer@aol.com
Subject: Re: corner workers
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:25:37 EDT
In the several years I have been a member of a vintage racing group in the
Midwest, I have never been asked to work an event, in any capacity, even
though I no longer race and thus have no race day conflicts.  Many
organizations simply don't have a culture that encourages participation by
non-drivers, which is clearly shortsighted.  I also suspect many drivers take
race workers for granted (workers being part of the circuit equipment).  I
know I initially thought this when I raced SCCA, until I worked tech a few
times, and paddock marshaled, and concluded that being in the cockpit is a
privilege made possible by the people standing in the corners.....