re: Corner Workers

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Corner Workers
From: Jeff Warner <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 17:35:36 -0500
I originally thought it was just a quick thank you from the drivers to the
corner workers for standing out track side in the weather all day.
South Texas can get a little warm in July :-)

But I learned after several years of working corners it has several purposes:

1) I realized it was also a way for the workers to tell the drivers who missed
the checker that the race was over and lose the "red mist".   It is harder to
scream around a corner at race speed and wave at the workers at the same time.

2) When an open car comes by and the driver gives us a big hand above the
helmet wave.... we can let Grid know that a particular driver's arm restraints
are not functioning.

3) It also allows workers to signal approval of some excellent passing and or
recovery after a particularly awkward situation.  Helps the workers fell more
involved directly with the individual drivers successes.

4) And finally, it reminds everyone - both drivers and workers - that we are
out participating at the vintage races for the fun and joy of seeing the
vintage cars run at race speed.  I always shake my head is disappointment when
a driver comes by on the cool down lap and appears all bent out of shape
instead of pleased to have finished another race.
If they are not enjoying themselves.... why be out there?

Jeff Warner
San Antonio, TX

>>> Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com> 10/6/99 6:37:09 PM >>>
You definitely get Karma points for waving cheerfully at the corner
workers. I can think of another, more practical reason to do so. It
signals all the boneheads behind you who missed seeing the checkered
flag that the race is over! ;=)

                               !
!