Re: Good will

To: clark@dnf.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good will
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:12:51 EDT
Clark,

> Does anyone on the list have a little girl that likes to go races?

The only damage you may do is the permanently warping of her sense of proper
motorcars.  While we haven't done much racing the last few years, our
daughter, now 11 seems quite fine after being to many events in her first 8
years.  At 2 months she was in the woods working a pro-rally stage.  I have a
nice pic of her sitting in my lap turning the speed handle changing a front
wheel on the Saab Sonett in the paddock at Road Atlanta when she was about 6.

I suggest continued training at home as well.  Get her out in the garage to
help work on the race toy.  Make sure daily transport isn't in generic
beaters.  I find taking the kids to school in the Morgan, top down most of
the winter, or the Mini gives them a unique perspective on what cars are all
about.

Oh, and start them using earplugs or some type of hearing protection early
on.  Then they think it is a normal thing to do and becomes a habit at the
track.  Sort of like always wearing seat belts.  I used to cut down the foam
earplugs when they were too big form my kids ears.

Keep the madness alive, take'em to the races.  They'll have fun cheering on
Dad or even timing you.

Cheers,

Ken Payne