Re: Datsun 510

To: roger.j.karnopp@lmco.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net, Bakeryoung@aol.com
Subject: Re: Datsun 510
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:47:09 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/01 8:38:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
roger.j.karnopp@lmco.com writes:

<<
 I've experienced the problem of brake fluid not returning to the master when
 using silicon brake fluid on street cars.  Apparently the silicon brake
 fluid caused the master seals to swell enough to block the fluid return
 hole.

Roger,

I have heard all the excuses for why silicone brake fluid won't work on
_________ fill in the blank kind of car.  In just about every case, something
else is wrong, not the brake fluid.  I have been using silicone brake fluid
for over twenty years in my: 1952 MGTD, 1959 MGA, 1967 MGBGT, 1952 Studebaker
truck, 1954 Ford F-100 hot rod with Chrysler Cordoba disc brakes,  Any car
worth keeping is worth changing over to silicone brake fluid.

I have never had a piece of rubber swell up.  In fact silicone is a rubber
presertive, so your rubber parts should last longer.  If the rubber came into
contact with hydrocarbons like: oil, solvent etc, that is what caused the
swelling.

Cheers,

Rod Schweiger
MGB #119