RE: Choices...

Subject: RE: Choices...
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:03:11 -0400
Don't get scared into thinking that you have to restore the car now though.
I bought mine out of a junkyard and drove it for 7 years before I did a
frame off restoration.  If you do a restoration you'll find two things -
most of the problems you have afterward will be of the minor variety and
what Victor said is true, you will have a much greater appreciation of cars
in general and especially yours.  It will truly be yours afterward.  Still,
it may not be wise to undertake such a task until you have learned a bit
more.  When I did my transmission I was initially very intimidated by the
idea of having springs and detent balls popping out never to be seen again.
In fact, rebuilding my 5 speed was the single most fun part of my
restoration.  But that's getting off track.
Any old sports car is more than a car, it is an experience.  It's not one
for some people but I can't be without it.  I've cursed and even once kicked
my car.  I exclaimed that we should have dropped another bomb on those
@#$%^&^%$#  when I discovered that the exhaust manifold wouldn't come out
without removing the cylinder head!  But (I'm told much like kids) I
wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Brian