RE: Choices...

To: "Seal, Marc" <MSeal@datatec.com>, Diana Wilson
Subject: RE: Choices...
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:08:14 -0700 (PDT)
Diana,

I gotta jump in.  As Datsunmike said, they ain't for
the faint of heart.  It will require work and time.
If you are using it for regular transportation, well,
you probably need a backup for when it's "down", but
the upside is that as cars go, these are pretty easy
to work on, and quite simple once you have done some
repairs and understand the set up.

You must enjoy auto mechanic work to be happy with
this car, IMHO.  If you do not enjoy learning auto
mechanic work, if you mind getting totally grimy, If
you mind having the car inoperable for weeks while
your parts are in the mail,....well, maybe you do not
want to keep it. You do not want to count on someone
else to do the majority of your mechanic work. (in
fact the ideal is that no hands besides yours ever
touch the car), but that comes with time, lots of
time.

But the thrill of driving it a couple hundred miles
with the top down and listening to the wonderful SU
and exhaust sounds, and the purring of that 35 year
old engine.  The smiles, comments, thumbs up's etc
that you will certainly get....well these things make
the downside seem ,. well like the upside, because it
is all your handywork!

Mike Harper
'66 1600 (down for a head gasket replacement right
now)
Charleston SC