Re: New Category

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "'Dan Warner'" <dwarner@electrorent.com>,
Subject: Re: New Category
From: "Mike Manghelli" <mmanghel@hughes.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:31:59 -0700
Group,

First off, let me say that David Parks is right on with his comments!  There
has been a lot of discussion over the past several years about a "muscle
car" class.  Many people have "muscle cars" that are not competitive with
new aerodynamic designs.  These cars were the mainstay of LSR racing through
the years and the owners are not ready to turn them into museum pieces yet.
They want to race, but are by no means competitive. A "muscle car" class was
proposed at last years rules meeting, but was denied by the committee
because it was not well defined.  That is what Dan is trying to do here,
provide definition.  What Dan proposed is by no means "arbitrary" and has
been given much thought and discussion.  Dan's comment to me was "we have to
start somewhere".  Well Pandora's Box is open.  Now let me put my two cents
worth in as some of you would say...

Most people agree that starting at 49 (where vintage ends) and going through
81 (where the new F bodied cars began in 82) is a good body break.

There are two schools of thought on technology; first no EFI or computer
controlled ignitions, the second; do not restrict technology.  I do not care
and can see both sides of the argument.  Remember these cars as equipped
from the factory did not have EFIs or computer controlled ignitions....  Do
you stay true to an era or allow progressive thinking, where would we be if
Stu Hilborn was banned from using his new fangled injection contraption? You
all may have to vote on the issue and the one with most votes wins! :-)

As far  as technology, I agree with the comments about "crank triggers".
There is no distinct advantage to crank trigger.  What we should ban is
computer control of ignitions. This would allow standard MSD, but not allow
MSD with knock sensor. Try these words;  "No computer controlled ignitions,
e.g.  MSD with knock sensor.  MSD with preset advance curves are allowed."

Remember we are looking for good constructive feed back!

Mike (who spent more like a dime than two cents worth) Manghelli
SCTA President