Re: New MGs and Minis in America?

To: hert@worldaccess.nl
Subject: Re: New MGs and Minis in America?
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:36:10 -0400
hert@worldaccess.nl wrote:

> The people who buy the US-built Z3 (the standard version comes with
> bad seats, boring
> interior and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner) seem not to mind... and
> the F is faster than that car.
>
> The American mass-market appears to sink back in its
> power-but-no-performance attitude.
> Luxury is a state of mind! Here's a great chance for real drivers'
> cars to come back, and where
> are the US manufacturers? And don't say Prowler, please...

I'm not sure I'd make a statement *quite* like that.  You are talking
about the "standard" version.  In my experience, the base model of just
about any car is a boring lump.  My mother owns a Z3 with the six
cylander engine.  I don't know if it's a "standard" model or not (I
would guess not, knowing her), but the seats are suitable for a sports
car (firm, but not uncomfortable), the interior is anything but boring,
and it *zips*!  I'd be surprised if the F was faster by much.  I don't
have any 0-60 figures, but the acceleration is enough to firmly plant
your head to the seat.  Hers is an automatic, so it's not as good as it
could be.  As far as the sound, well, "vaccum cleaner" doesn't near do
it justice.  My father has a Nissan 300ZX; that sounds like a vaccum
cleaner.  The Z3 has the loudest, throatiest sounding exhaust of any new
car I've heard.  It reminds me of the days when sports cars *sounded*
like sports cars.

Don't get me wrong; I'd like to see an F in the States as much as any of
you, but get a grip!  Honstly guys, I'm all for British cars; they're
generally the most interesting cars made.  However, lighten up!  The
Germans make/made some good cars, too!  As did the
Americans...occasionally ;-).

Regards,