Re: New MGs and Minis in America?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New MGs and Minis in America?
From: Philip <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 97 13:37:17 +0100
Size isn't everything. The MGF knocks out more BHP than some American
barges I've driven. I covered 700 miles in an F over one weekend, and
came home very relaxed. That included driving at highspeed (and I don't
mean crawling along at 70mph) on UK motorways, which have more big trucks
than most US interstates.

IMO big engines are less fun than small ones, you don't have to 'drive'
them. Give me a tuned 4-cylinder over a V8 any day.

>My point is this:  Give the car a chance in the American market.  I'd like to
>think that a new MG with a 1.8 would be OK on 95.  However, with more and
>more cars coming factory with V-6's and 8's, a little engine like that
>wouldn't stand a chance on a long tour on a major highway.  Compared to other
>new cars, the new MG would be considered a dog, and at the worst, nothing
>more than a great handling Geo convertible.  Many car buyers want a little
>muscle with their ride.  Need proof?  Look at the new Pontiac Bondovilles.
> "Luxury with an attitude.  "One of the most powerful luxury cars in it's
>class."  Want more proof of a need for power?  Three letters for you: S H O.

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk