Re: C4 Vette

To: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 14:44:05 -0400
Matt Murray wrote:

> Paul:
>
> I wasn't indicating dominance for fast time at a SCCA event.
> I was noting that someone from outside a marquee club who
> doesn't have the "special" class(ifications), might have a
> tendency to do better. I prefer to enjoy the mix of my
> current class (M3, Z3, 944S2, MR2, Boxster). At the PCA
> events, I end up striving for FTD rather winning a class of
> two cars. Just for curiosity, how many classes ran at
> GGR Porsche Club events? I know that Connecticut
> Valley Region reshuffled their classes, using the Solo II
> rulebook as a guideline and reduced their classes down
> to nine or so.

When I ran with GGR back in the late 80s and early 90s, they had their
own class structure and rules that were similar to the PCR but not
identical. I'd guess there were perhaps 20 open classes - so many that I
too made jokes about classing cars by color. ;-)

But just to give you an idea of the skill and preparation level, Gary
Walton was a regular in the EM 914 he won so many SCCA national
championships with. Jeff and Stacy Reitmeier usually ran their prepared
914 instead of the stock 914 they ran in CS. There were 10 or so other
very good drivers on slicks as well so there was no chance that a DOT
shod car could come close to TTOD.

As I hopefully clarified, my point about NE autocrossing was not meant
as a condemnation of the talented drivers who hail from that part of the
country, but more of a statement of the typical turnout at a regional
SCCA event. NYR usually only had 40 or so people that came out. If Bruce
Bellom wasn't there that day there just wasn't that much competition...

Paul Foster

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't beat the guy with the V8 Datsun since even
I usually went faster than him. ;-)