Re: New scoring system

To: Randy Clow <randyc@map.com>
Subject: Re: New scoring system
From: Josh Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:45:30 -0700
Randy Clow wrote:

> Let's talk about a new scoring system for two-day/two-course events
> (Divisionals, Tours, Nationals). Many of us travel long distances at great
> expense to compete in these events. Due to bad luck (weather, mechanical,
> cones, etc.) on the first day, the competition and the fun is over for many.
> A different scoring system can help change this.

        It's true, that does suck. Even a single cone on one day can mean the
difference between a top placing run in the trophies and being an
also-ran. And while I agree that it really bites to be on the short end
of the "fortune" stick, that is racing. What about road racing where
someone qualifies first on the grid by a mile, but blows an engine
before the green flag drops. Very similar circumstances, that's racing.

> Instead of adding the times together, consider each day a separate event.
> Use the finishing POSITIONS (not times) from the two days to determine the
> trophies for the overall competition. The competitor that finishes first on
> day1 is compared to the competitor who finishes first on the day2. Comparing
> their "other day" finishing positions determines who gets the first and
> second place trophies for the overall competition.

[big snip, Interesting scoring strategy discussed]

        What about someone who has an unnaturally fast run, even for them
(pulling one out of their a** so to speak), and then has just a mediocre
day on the second day. It's not really rewarding the consistent driver.
I think maybe for something like a tour or divisional, that may be an
idea some people are willing to play with. However, seeing as how the
national championships are a one shot deal, and not a season long points
race, I think the two day series is a really good idea. It's the only
way I can see to reward the most consistent driver in a once-a-year competition.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/