Re: New scoring system

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New scoring system
From: Paul and Meredith Brown <racers@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 22:11:55 -0700
OK, what about the situation where things are really close on one day or
the other (it really doesn't matter which).  Say, for example, someone is
in 5th place after day 1 but that's just .120 seconds out of first.  With a
position scheme, they are pretty much hosed for a win.  With a time scheme,
the second day is a whole new day.  Seems to me that the current time
scheme rewards consistency better anyway.  You need to have the lowest
average time, rather than the lowest average finishing position, though
those are usually the same anyway.   With a position scheme, all DNFs on
one day and you could still trophy?  And how do you calculate the PAX on
that one? :-)

Also, what about the not-uncommon situation of someone finishing second
both days, but winning the class due to different people finishing
1st?  Seems like unnecessary complication.  And you'd have TONS of ties -
first and second place are reversed between the two days.   *Any* two
places for that matter....

Interesting idea - maybe for a regional event - but I really don't like it
for national events.  We did something like this in Pro Solo one year and
that scheme is not missed by anyone....

Paul and Meredith Brown

MR2:  "Not the easiest car in the world to work on"